Saturday, July 26, 2008

Warped Tour 2008


Camden. July 25:

We left around 9:30 in the morning, to get there early; gates open at 11 o'clock. We got there a bit earlier, where there was a band playing in a small tent for the increasing crowd. I got a pink sticker stuck to my side reading 'the a.k.a.s' and '3:55'. When we got in, we found the schedule. The main bands we were interested in played later in the night; such as All Time Low, who happened to be the last band of the night on the Hurley stage.

While wandering around in a sad attempt to kill time, i saw a board in front of a guitar hero tent/area that read 'all time low signing 1 o'clock' there were 2 people standing outside, and they saw my pointing. one guy, one girl. the guy said 'today is your lucky day' and when we went over we were offered a backstage opportunity in exchange for a couple hours of catering to those on the warped tour. we said yes. why not? they also found 2 other guys to help. i was worried i would embarrass myself. There was some guy next to the table I sat at with a small ponytail looking through lists; I saw him look up once after I said 'this is somekinda crazy'. I don't know why that matters, but...

by the girl standing there, me, megan, and her brother were led behind a fence; then another fence. the 2nd fence had a person checking for passes. the woman turned back to us and simply said 'this guy might give me trouble' but got through. we were led up a ramp into a shaded area with about 5 round tables with other volunteers and roadies. me and megan sat, the guys went and carried stuff into the building while we were told to relax until about 11:30. I called my mom, she didn't pick up (she was at the hairdressers). Throughout the time, we saw one Zack Merrick walking around a couple times (shirtless, the usual ha). We where at one end of the shaded patio. At one point, when I looked up I saw Jack Barakat walking while Kyle Burns and immediately became a mix of excited and frozen. I was too afraid to look up when they walked by. Our "superviser" named Robin came out and gathered us and gave us a quick rundown of the few things we actually knew and went away, only to come back a couple minutes later. We all shuffled in and stood behind a column of tables with red cloth draped over it. All I know of the foods there is - to the left to right- random girl (served onions and mushrooms), megan (served pizza bread under two red heating lamps), me (serving the most arduous dish of angel hair with chile flakes and parmason shake cheese; also a vegan request opinion was made available to the person in question by turning around and un-locking a brown box that had 3 shelves. vegan pasta was in the top shelf), and the random girl next to me on the right (served soup. it had chicken stock in the broth, and i dunno how many unsuspecting vegans ate it).

I was given a horrible utensil to help me serve. A fork/spoon tongs. I made a moron out of myself by clumsily dropping the pasta on to already full plates. My station was almost at the end of the line, so ppl already got a lot of food. Jack Barakat came by and he screamed 'PASTA!!' and the tongs only dropped only a little bit on the plate. I offered more, but only like two more pieces dropped on the plate (he already had a steak and some pizza bread on there). I said 'sorry' but he was just chilled and walked off (he MAY have said something, but my mind was racing and freaking out). Rian Dawson came through later, with his girlfriend Kara. He didn't want any, and he said 'Spaagetti?' in a funny voice and asked Kara is she wanted any, but she didn't. I was sad, yet happy that I couldn't make an idiot out of myself. Some ppl would stand behind me and ask me for pasta, which made me nervous for some reason. I ran out of pasta about 4 times, and offered some the vegan. One particularly nice person was the person from 'Pierce the Veil'. Two people waited about 5 minuted for the pasta to arrive after I (once again) ran out. A lot of people thanked me very kindly. Some British people said 'cheers' to me. That was nice. Caleb Turman (ftsk, duh) called me sweetheart. That was nice. Someone said 'you are an angel, no pun intended'. Near the end the lady leading us gave me a wrist bracelet, allowing me to go backstage between the current time and 4, and also anytime after 7. After we were done I took my gloves off and grabbed the bag and my water and took off. My henna on my left hand from ocean city (the bad kitty shop) came off a lot because of the glooves. Outside, at the table we were previously sitting at, was megans brother, austin and kent (ftsk, duh again). We kinda awkwardly stood around, then went to leave the area, then came back. Her brother waved us over and we sat at the only 2 chairs left. I sat to the right of Kent, Megan sat to the right of me (next to her brother). Austin shook my hand. They were talking about their fall tour and how they are going to japan in 2 weeks. Megans brother said they could get some cool headbands, and talked about ninjas. They left, we left soon after. Oh btw her brother had a free shirt that said 'i only drum naked' and he mentioned that kyle should get one. He did later that day after their set. Megans brother gave him one. I think it was either gray or purple. Austin said they were doing a signing at the AP tent later. We went to the atl merch tent and asked the man there were to find matt so megan could give him the shirt. later at the at&t tent when we did meet him he said to go over to the hurley tent and make friends with brian at the hurley stage.

After we left that area, we went to the Hurley tent, which had chairs, tables and shade. We found that ATL was doing a signing at the AT&T tent at the same time. We went for atl though. We waited in line for about an hour until we finally got there. A man went around and asked for your right hand. He said that if you weren't stamped, you couldn't meet him. I saw some people from my school, but they ended up not standing in line. Two girls (who were actually pretty nice, its just i was bitter that they jumped in without their hand stamped) ended up next to us. The one asked for me to press my stamped hand to hers so she could get by. I obviously let her, I'm not that mean. Megan gave Matt Flyzik the flyers shirt. We talked with the two girls in line in front of us for a little bit while waiting (they were apparently at the king of prussia show june 6th, just like we were). Also, we saw Rian standing to the right of us. No one else noticed, which got me kindof sad and screaming 'NO ONE? Rian is right there, and there are so many people in this line, and no one noticed even though I made it known? Real fans huh.' We heard Alex say 'Philllahh' even though we were in camden. it was basically all philly ppl there though.. So when I got up there, I got a warped tour 08 magazine i picked up for free signed. when i got to jack, i was like 'i was the random girl serving pasta earlier' and he was like 'OHHYEAH!THAT WAS DELICIOUS!!thankyouu!' and he gave me a veryveryvery nice handshake and reply was just 'good to hear it' ha ima loser. I forgot about everyone else, and then I was like oh alex signed and then i looked up at him and said 'thank you' even though he was a little confused. Then Zack signed, and I said thank you again and looked up at him and smiled, and I realized he had very bright eyes. Am I a creep? Maybe.

A monk gave us a book. I asked for one. He thought I was donating money. I gave him 2 dollars. he asked for more. wth?

We hurried to the forever the sickest kid signing, but it was too long. We saw Austin and was about to get a picture, but then he was on the phone so we walked off. I think after that we went to the Ernie Ball stage for the ftsk set. We got to the front easily and were at the Caleb side (with Kent). We were next to a nice older woman who went to see ftsk 6 times. The people behind us were nice too. When I took a pic of ourselves, she was like 'oh, you can see my hair in your picture', ha. ftsk was amazing, the crowd was awesome. it wasn't intense, it was chill and everyone was jumping. There was a lot of people, even though they weren't on the schedule and were at a small stage. We almost got a pic with kyle, but he had to change into something else. They invited erryone over to their merch table. We went, of course. We waited about a half hour and when we got up there i got a pic with them all, and their sigs. What they did when I came up:
Jonathon: screamed very loudly ELLO!!! i was just like 'hai'
Austin: he rapped about stuff, including orange sunglasses. Even though his sunglasses were yellow.
Kyle: ohjesus!! he waved in my face a lot haa. and made 'WhO0O' noises.
Kent: he be chill. thats all.

Next: rushhh to All Time Low. Family Force 5 were still on the stage. We got back stage once they were over, and we saw Zack first. We were debating going over there to get pictures. He had his bass, so we didn't. Then we saw Alex and Rian chilling, then we went over. Rian walked away and we were like 'darn' but got a picture with Alex. I went up and was like 'i'm sorry, can i get a picture please?' and he was like 'sure.' he smelled really really really good. I am a creep. But he did. It seemed like it slowed down, when I was there. Surreal. I went over to Rian too, but then I overheard him saying 'i'm sorry, i gotta warm up!'

Then we saw Alex's dog (Spot???) and he was cute. The girl with it (his girlfriend, Lisa i think?) was talking to someone like 'hi, you want to meet 'em too?' i didn't though.
So we went over to the end of the stage and leaned there for a bit, waiting. Some other girls from the catering were there too. People walked up in front of us, and we saw the whole set through feet. We all agreed that THAT was some bull. I really did see Matt and Jack look back, and I think they were a bit sympathetic toward us. They played 'This is How We Do', 'Let it Roll', 'Coffeeshop??', 'Poppin Champagne', 'The Beach', 'Jasey Rae'

When they hopped down, we were abo0ut to get pictures again. I saw Jack sitting down, and Dan (brother of megan, ha) went over to him and they were high fiving. We were about to get a picture, but then Matt (politely) asked everyone 'can everyone move over that way? we need to start packin it up'. Brian (matt talked of him earlier. he had orangey hair and tall. orge.) was generally pretttyyy mean. He was screaming 'everybody has to MOVE! get out. nononono get out. everyone'

then some girl needed megans pass for a show on a different date (she apparently served dinner). then we left. i was still freakin that we had to see the set through feet. feet or none, it was amazing. people set up all over, and even on the lawn. atl were excited, the crowd was huge. i remember alex saying 'uhh... after this, who wants to help me sink that boat over there? i don't know why, but...' (you could see the battleship).

We left. Walked off to the spot it started; and barely broken hearted, we smiled and we sighed, at the luck that we had on that hot summer day.

No comments: